Thursday, May 7, 2009

L.A.

Once again, this mission trip to L.A. wasn't the most spiritual trip I went on, except for one part, which I will tell you about in a second.

I remember having a contest of who could bury themselves deepest in the really wet sand just by wiggling around, and I fell into the water wearing jeans and blouse because I didn't bring a bathing suit. That was fun. Some girls taught me how to put on make-up. And the mission trip group got to go shopping. We saw the Hollywood stars and a model car of the car from the movie Cars. I have a picture of it. I also have a picture of me in a group of girls with different awesome sunglasses on. Mine were root beer float glasses and I had on a B&W shirt on.  
 
One thing this trip did for me was get me on the road to being self-confident. I still have a long ways to go, but I realized that I was beautiful, there was something unique about me and that I was to embrace it. It made me happy. 

Also, up to this point, I was very cynical about a lot of spiritual stuff. One night, we had the Lord's Supper. People would pray with others, and those people would go out and pray with somebody else. There were a lot of people who were crying, and I scoffed pretty much. I would never do this. Now on this trip, I didn't have that many friends. I made some that I didn't know very well, but for the most part I was a wanderer. Anyway, a girl named Melissa came and prayed with me. She thanked God that I was such a good friend and that she was glad she had met me. It was nothing really spiritual, just that she liked me as a friend. And all of a sudden, I could feel something powerful in the room, and I nearly cried. I realized that it wasn't fake. God was there in that room that night.

So that was the starting point of really knowing God personally. L.A. 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment